Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Where I Belong

You know how there are epic songs? Like for instance:

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
I Can Only Imagine - Mercy Me

....those might not be on your list of epic, but they are songs of different genres that I'm sure you all have heard before. Well, you need to listen to this song: Where I Belong by Building 429...you can listen here. I had heard this song a couple of times and my mom also told me about it (that it was one of her favorites). Well, every time I hear it I turn it up and just jam, then the goosebumps come and tears just flow. I am AMAZED by this song, and in awe! I can't describe it, you just have to listen. I wanted to know more, and what was behind the song and I found this:

“Where I Belong” was written out of the thought process of “where is our home”? If there was a theme to my life over the last year it would be “this place is not our home”.
Why would I say that? Well, because in the last couple of years I’ve watched a lot of people I respect make major mistakes that had a huge impact on their lives.  
Why would people who have everything choose to do things that destroy the blessing they live under? The more I think about it, the more I realize that the “good life” just doesn’t exist here on earth. Nothing we have, earn, are given, or could buy will ever keep us from desiring something more. This is proven by the people who have it all but give it all away in an effort to get more.
It was echoed in my own life as I began to realize that I wasn’t so different from the people who had made such huge mistakes. We’re always in a fight to remember why we exist and where we belong. It’s an all out war to stay on the path. If you and I think we’re above the BIG mistakes, we’re kidding ourselves.
This song reminds me that some day the work that God began in me will be completed. In the meantime it reminds me to say “take this world and give me Jesus”. When I live by that phrase, everything is different and suddenly the things I think I need become worthless. The coolest thing about this song is the comfort that it has brought to a lot of people as they’ve had to face our greatest fear in life: death. A song that I wrote about how to live has also become a song of assurance for many people close to us. We hope it serves as a reminder to all. This world is not our home. In the arms of our Creator is where we belong.
-Jason
Wow! So it made me think, the "Case of the Monday's" we get or the not so happy Tuesday, the hard day at work...we are promised trials and tribulations while on this world, why? Because this is NOT OUR HOME! What an AMAZING God we serve! This song just ignites something in me and makes me weep for Christ! You know that feeling you get when you've been gone on a trip and all you want is to be in the comfort of your own home? When you finally get there it just makes everything better? Imagine the comfort we will receive when we get to our home in Heaven? Our final destination! Man oh man...I can only imagine! A song that ignites a spark this strong and a passion and longing, I decided deserves the term "epic", and needs to be shared. I hope you enjoy it and it ignites that spark in you also! Be blessed and remember, this is not our home!

1 comment:

  1. Nikki,
    I am so glad to hear the "behind the scenes" of this song. I just love it and always have! Thank you for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete