Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY: Lunch Bag

Every Wednesday I go to Bullard to work at the quilt shop, and I usually take my lunch. I just put it in my bag with the rest of my stuff, but last week I realized I need a lunch bag! So, instead of buying one, I thought I would make one:

My new lunch bag!
This project was SEW simple! I'll show you the basic steps through pictures, but if you need more instructions to complete your own, just leave a comment and I'll help you the best I can!

First, you need your material (the amounts depend on the size you want to make):
  • Outer fabric (2 fat quarters or a 1/2 yard)
  • Liner fabric (2 fat quarters or a 1/2 yard)
  • Interfacing (1/2 yard)
  • Ribbon for handles (1 yard)
  • Basic sewing notions
First, iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric you want to use for the outside of the bag.

Fabric I selected.
Next, cut your pieces to size:
  • 2 of each fabric (front and back) - 10"x10"
  • 2 of each fabric (sides) - 10" x 7"
  • 1 of each fabric (bottom) - 10" x 7"
Pieces cut to size.
 Now, start with the lining, match the sides to the bottom and sew them together, right sides together. Then do the same with the front and back pieces, matching them and sewing them to the bottom piece. (1/4" seam allowance)

All side pieces of lining sewn to bottom of lining.
Once this is complete, start sewing the sides together, still right side together.
Sewing sides together with 1/4" seam.
Once you have sewn all sides together, you are finished with the lining. Now, do the same steps (sew all sides to the bottom and then all sides together) for the outer fabric. Remember right sides together!

Sewing the sides together.
Once you have completed this, you will have to pieces that look like this:

Completed outer fabric and lining.

Now, cut your handles to length (2 - 18" pieces). Next, turn your lining so it is facing the right side out. Place the lining inside the outer fabric (right sides facing together) and pin together at corner seams. Also, place your handles where you want them and pin them in place between the two fabrics.

Lining, handles and outer fabric pinned together.
Now, sew around the top of these pieces with a 1/4" seam. Leave about 4" open, so you can turn the bag right side out. Once you turn it right side out, press the seams down and then stitch around the top of the bag.  After you have this step completed, you have a completed lunch bag!

Completed lunch bag.
I realize I didn't take enough pictures, so if you have questions or if the steps aren't clear, just leave a comment and I'll try my best to help you figure it out!  This is just a basic bag, but you can make them larger, or smaller, add ruffles or trim, a monogram, or whatever to make it your own! I made this in about 30 minutes this morning, so it is quick and easy! Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment